[Client Edit] 3Deffects for garments

hey!
I was wondering if how can I change the position of this effect? I wanted to push it up a little bit to the model's back.. kind of a wing.
I found these variables in 3DEffect.ini file OffsetX, OffsetY, OffsetZ.. changed that but still not working.. im in 5165 client, is there another file should I look for in order to achieve my goal?

Just for context, is this an effect you're importing from a higher version of the client? And which message / packet are you using to send this right now? There're a few message types for sending effects, so it could be we just need to switch out the message type you're using.
Interested in my work?

If you wanna learn more about me and my projects: visit my portfolio website. There, you can find my free, open-source work and articles about game development. Due to contractual restrictions: I am not available for job requests or volunteer work.

About Me | GitLab Profile | Website

@Spirited like @Konichu said, I just use the wings effect in lower version. and yeah offset doesnt work. I tried experimenting something, I copy one of the existing effect (the effect is placed above the character's head), renamed it and tested it, it's showing at the bottom. I wonder why it's showing at the bottom? I just completely copy the effect and just renamed it in 3DEffect file. Maybe there's another file needs to update to make the offset work?

rabbitdev wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 am @Spirited like @Konichu said, I just use the wings effect in lower version. and yeah offset doesnt work. I tried experimenting something, I copy one of the existing effect (the effect is placed above the character's head), renamed it and tested it, it's showing at the bottom. I wonder why it's showing at the bottom? I just completely copy the effect and just renamed it in 3DEffect file. Maybe there's another file needs to update to make the offset work?
Just so I understand, is the effect completely client sided? Or are you sending a packet / message from the server to display this when they spawn in? Is it a status on the character, or an effect you manually send?
Interested in my work?

If you wanna learn more about me and my projects: visit my portfolio website. There, you can find my free, open-source work and articles about game development. Due to contractual restrictions: I am not available for job requests or volunteer work.

About Me | GitLab Profile | Website

Spirited wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 pm
rabbitdev wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 am @Spirited like @Konichu said, I just use the wings effect in lower version. and yeah offset doesnt work. I tried experimenting something, I copy one of the existing effect (the effect is placed above the character's head), renamed it and tested it, it's showing at the bottom. I wonder why it's showing at the bottom? I just completely copy the effect and just renamed it in 3DEffect file. Maybe there's another file needs to update to make the offset work?
Just so I understand, is the effect completely client sided? Or are you sending a packet / message from the server to display this when they spawn in? Is it a status on the character, or an effect you manually send?
aah.. yeah just client-side of the effect.. i wanted add it in garments like other effects I did

At some point TQ switched from storing a lot of data in .ini files to .dbc files nested inside of .wdb files. You'll notice in 5165 you have a "c3.wdb" file in your /ini/ folder. The new 3DEffect.dbc is in there, and that's the file the client is actually using to load effects. Any changes you make to 3DEffect.ini will be ignored.

CptSky has a tool for unpacking wdb files.

There are a number of tools for converting the wdb files to ini and back again. Unfortunately, none of them (in my experience) worked for 3DEffect specifically-- At least going from 3DEffect.ini back into 3DEffect.dbc. You can find some details about the EFFE file format here. I ended up writing my own janky little utility for converting them, and if it weren't so user-unfriendly I'd consider sharing it.

That said, even if you obtain the ability to edit 3DEffect.dbc, I offer no guarantees that the offset values will do anything-- Sometimes TQ just has fields in their files that don't do anything (because it's all hard-coded in the client, or part of the .c3 animation file, etc).

Munsie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm At some point TQ switched from storing a lot of data in .ini files to .dbc files nested inside of .wdb files. You'll notice in 5165 you have a "c3.wdb" file in your /ini/ folder. The new 3DEffect.dbc is in there, and that's the file the client is actually using to load effects. Any changes you make to 3DEffect.ini will be ignored.

CptSky has a tool for unpacking wdb files.

There are a number of tools for converting the wdb files to ini and back again. Unfortunately, none of them (in my experience) worked for 3DEffect specifically-- At least going from 3DEffect.ini back into 3DEffect.dbc. You can find some details about the EFFE file format here. I ended up writing my own janky little utility for converting them, and if it weren't so user-unfriendly I'd consider sharing it.

That said, even if you obtain the ability to edit 3DEffect.dbc, I offer no guarantees that the offset values will do anything-- Sometimes TQ just has fields in their files that don't do anything (because it's all hard-coded in the client, or part of the .c3 animation file, etc).
Thanks for this!