Trouble Logging In on Comet Source

I am also having a similar issue to this.

Hello everyone,

I've been setting up a private server for Conquer Online using the Comet project, but I've run into a snag with server connections. Below, I've detailed the issue, including the steps I've taken so far. Any guidance or advice from the community would be greatly appreciated!

Overview of the Problem
I have two servers as part of the setup: the Comet Account Server and the Comet Game Server.
Both servers seem to start up without any obvious errors, but I'm encountering issues when trying to connect with the game client.

Im getting this when the dotnet run is used on Comet.Account :
Comet: Account Server
Spirited (C) All Rights Reserved
Patch 4294

Initializing server...
Launching server listener...
Listening for new connections

Server and Database Configuration:

--
Comet.Account Server Config (Comet.Account.config):
--------------
IP Address: IPv4 Address. . . (taken directly from ipconfig)
Port: 9958

--
Comet.Game Server Config (Comet.Game.config):
--------------
Game Network IP Address: IPv4 Address. . . (taken directly from ipconfig)
Game Network Port: 5816
RPC Network Port: 5817
The game server initializes and listens for connections correctly.
MySQL Database (comet.account):

mysql> SELECT * FROM realm;
+---------+-------+-------------+---------------+--------------+----------+---------+
| RealmID | Name | AuthorityID | GameIPAddress | RpcIPAddress | GamePort | RpcPort |
+---------+-------+-------------+---------------+--------------+----------+---------+
| 1 | Comet | 1 | IPv4 Address| IPv4 Address| 5816 | 5817 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Contains tables like account, account_authority, account_status, and realm.
The realm table was initially set with IP 192.168.1.64 and ports 5816 (GamePort) and 5817 (RpcPort). But updated as above.
Client Configuration:
Using a custom loader (Conquer Loader v5 from nullable) to connect to the server, configured with:
[Loader]
IPAddress=IPv4 address
;The ip address or host name to connect to.
LoginPort=9958
;The login port.
GamePort=5816
;The game port.
Website=www.elitepvpers.com
;Logout website
Force=TRUE
;Force the client to connect to IPAddress no matter what.

Issues Encountered:
The game client, when run, fails to connect to the server, displaying an error message stating "server is down."
The Account Server shows it’s listening for new connections but doesn’t seem to recognize any incoming attempts from the client.

Steps Taken:
Added a new rule on firewall settings to allow port 9958
Ensured the MySQL user root has the necessary permissions.
I also tried running the play.exe after just simply altering the server.dat file :
[Header]
GroupAmount=1
Group1=GroupPic5

[Group1]
ServerAmount=1
Server1=Private
Ip1=ipv4
Port1=5816
ServerName1=Private
HintWord1=
Pic1=servericon23

Request for Assistance:
I'm wondering if there's a misconfiguration I've overlooked or if there are additional steps I need to take to ensure a successful connection between the client and the servers. Any insights or similar experiences would be incredibly helpful. I've redacted the ip address but can provide if needed.

Thank you in advance!

Hey Tim. Is the IPv4 address you're using a local IP address (something like 192.168.1.x) or a public IP address? If it's public and you're going through your ISP, then you'll need to configure port forwarding on your router. Make sure that the realm name in the MySQL database also matches the server name in the server.dat file. Let me know if you have any follow up problems / questions. Good luck!
Interested in my work?

If you wanna learn more about me and my projects: visit my portfolio website. There, you can find my free, open-source work and articles about game development. Due to contractual restrictions: I am not available for job requests or volunteer work.

About Me | GitLab Profile | Website

Hello Spirited,

Thanks once again for your input. Based on your feedback and some further investigation, I've revised my approach. Here's the updated situation:

Local IP Address:

The IP looks like 10.0.0.x

Server Configuration Adjustments:

Both the Comet.Account.config and Comet.Game.config are set to use the local IP address 10.0.0.x..

Port Forwarding Necessity:

Do I need port forwarding with this IP?

For local testing and setup, I believe port forwarding might not be necessary.

Realm and Server Name Consistency:

I've confirmed that the realm name in the MySQL realm table matches the server name in the Server.dat file. Both are now named "Comet"

MySQL
mysql> SELECT * FROM realm;
| RealmID | Name | AuthorityID | GameIPAddress | RpcIPAddress | GamePort | RpcPort |
| 1 | Comet | 1 | 10.0.0.x | 10.0.0.x | 5816 | 5817 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Server.dat
[Header]
GroupAmount=1
Group1=GroupPic5

[Group1]
ServerAmount=1
Server1=comet
Ip1= 10.0.0.x
Port1=5816
ServerName1=Comet
HintWord1=
Pic1=servericon23

Current Issue - "Connecting failed due to server maintenance or internet congestion. Please re-login later.":

Should the Comet.Account server say "Account Server has connected" before I login with conquer loader? The Comet.Game server says this after running dotnet run.

Comet: Account Server
Spirited (C) All Rights Reserved
Patch 4294

Initializing server...
Launching server listener...
Listening for new connections

The client still reports that the "Connecting failed due to server maintenance or internet congestion. Please re-login later." when I attempt to connect.

Firewall:

I added rules to allow Inbound and Outbound specific to port 9958. I also tried running ConquerLoader after disabling firewall completely. No luck.

Insights and Further Assistance:

Could there be specific network settings or server configurations I might still be overlooking?

My thoughts:
Im uneasy about the port forwarding since its not 192.168.x.x.
Im unsure about the firewall although I think I added rules and disabled it entirely without luck.
If you dont see any issues with port forwarding or firewall I will try to go back thorough the setup and look over everything again carefully.

Best regards,
Tim

You're right. If you're using a private IP address, then you don't need to worry about port forwarding. So if your firewall is set up correctly and you're still not getting the first message from the client, then I'd say it's probably a client configuration issue? Or maybe your anti-virus has another firewall that's preventing the ports from being exposed? And yeah, the "Account Server has connected" is expected. That's the game server and account server establishing a connection to each other for authorization sharing. Where did you download the client, and how are you starting it? You're running patch 4294, right? So you could try running without the custom loader with just the modified server.dat file. You'd run conquer.exe with the command-line argument "blacknull". For example, "conquer.exe blacknull" in a command prompt.
Interested in my work?

If you wanna learn more about me and my projects: visit my portfolio website. There, you can find my free, open-source work and articles about game development. Due to contractual restrictions: I am not available for job requests or volunteer work.

So, big news – the server is finally up and running! Seriously, I appreciate your help. There was some issue with the server.dat file – still not sure what, but a fresh setup did the trick.

Now that it's working, I’m super excited to start tinkering with the game's features. I’m thinking of adding NPCs, gear, and more. But before I dive in, I want to understand the nuts and bolts a bit better. So, I've got a couple of questions:

Documentation on Packets and Game Data Files: Is there any documentation or resources you recommend for understanding the packets and game data files? I want to make sure I'm doing things right.

MySQL Database Updates: When adding new features like NPCs, do I need to add new files or data directly to the MySQL database?

Guidance on Adding Features: Any tips or pointers on how to get started with adding these kinds of features? I think I saw somewhere that you mentioned you responded on epvp about how to build on the comet source. I'll look into finding that thread as well.

Also, I was thinking of putting together a write-up of my setup process – sort of document my process if that would be helpful for the community. It could be a neat way to give back and help others who are starting out.

tim wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:26 am Documentation on Packets and Game Data Files: Is there any documentation or resources you recommend for understanding the packets and game data files? I want to make sure I'm doing things right.
Good job on getting things up and running. For documentation, I'm actually actively working on a new wiki that's easier to contribute to using mdbook and GitHub. But that's going to take some more time to complete. Your best resource right now is going to be other questions made in the past on epvp and other server projects.
tim wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:26 am MySQL Database Updates: When adding new features like NPCs, do I need to add new files or data directly to the MySQL database?
You might, yeah. For things like NPC spawns. It'll depend on how you want to implement NPCs, but you may decide to script dialogs in Lua or another language. And you're welcome to contribute back to Comet if you choose to using pull requests.
tim wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:26 am Guidance on Adding Features: Any tips or pointers on how to get started with adding these kinds of features? I think I saw somewhere that you mentioned you responded on epvp about how to build on the comet source. I'll look into finding that thread as well.
Yup! There's an article on my website that talks a bit more about that as well.
tim wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:26 am Also, I was thinking of putting together a write-up of my setup process – sort of document my process if that would be helpful for the community. It could be a neat way to give back and help others who are starting out.
That'd be great! You're always welcome to put in a pull request to fix up the readme in the repo, as well.
Interested in my work?

tim wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:19 am Sounds great! I added a thread detailing my setup. Let me know what you think and i can get to work on updating the README.md and put in a pull request.
You can always put something in, and then we can have a conversation about the changes on the pull request. :happy:
Interested in my work?

Note that some routers do not provide access to the internet IP from inside the lan at all.

If this is your problem, people from outside can connect, but you can't connect from inside.

This cannot easily be worked around, because the auth sever will send the internet ip to the client, and it will fail to connect to the gameserver. normally a hosts file would do the trick, but conquer only accepts sever ips.

The feature required for this to work is "hairpin NAT" and not all routers have it, especially ones that come from cable providers. and they rarely say if they have it or not.